Location: Chennai, India
Reports to: Director, Research & Development
About FTC Solar Inc
FTC Solar is a fast-growing, global provider of solar tracker systems, technology, software, and engineering services. We are as passionate about renewable energy as we are about our culture and values. We want to attract like-minded individuals who live and breathe Integrity, Accountability, Innovation, and Excellence. We’re humble enough to know that we don’t know everything, so we love bold ideas that disrupt the status quo. Basically, we don’t want you to just fall in line!
FTC Solar is committed to creating a culture of inclusion and diversity. For us, this is not just a set of words or metrics. It drives our culture, creativity, and future success. We support our employees and foster an environment where new ideas and perspectives are celebrated and encouraged. When our employees thrive, FTC Solar thrives. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
The R&D Mechanical Engineer will work with the R&D team in all aspects of the tracker mechanical calcs, including design optimization. In this position, you will use
your experience to lead design decisions from a structural/mechanical point of view, solve problems, develop, and execute design objectives, communicate cross functionally, and drive the team strategically so new editions of the tracker are delivered per commitments that meets the loading requirement.
- Tracker Engineering – Concept generation and evaluation based on FEA & Testing
- Interpretation and insights into Wind tunnel studies, optimization & design to loads
- Serve as good team player by training, coaching and empowering
- Development of tools for designs which will reduce the turnaround time of various design activities
- Envision, inspire, and develop an industry leading tracker for solar deployments
- Serve as a lead technical engineer to help others learn and contribute while maintaining a positive team atmosphere
- All development should follow a strict development process with measurable metrics
- Documentation is a big part of the role; each step of the design process should be documented and stored in a central system
- Willing to listen to inputs from the team, and then including the good ones into the product is key for the engineer
- Above all, this person should be an engineer at heart, with problem-solving skills that are timely and creative
- BE/B. Tech or equivalent in Mechanical engineering
- 4 or more years of design experience in industrial/solar structural/mechanical design
- Experience in design for Solar trackers is preferred
- Design experience of Solar Tracker structures/industrial plant structures in a multidisciplinary design house will be an advantage
- Shall have hands on experience in using Solidworks CAD & FEA tools. MSC Apex & Adams experience preferred
- Experience in developing inhouse design tools using MS-Excel or similar will be an advantage
- Shall be able to work independently on concept design / verification & be able to generate design & test documents
- Shall have experience in coordinating with Structural/Electrical engineering
- Shall have experience in coordinating with approval agencies for mechanical design and testing
- A team player with strong interpersonal, influencing and leadership skills
- Creative, self-starter and independent
- Ability to cope with multiple complex situations and emergent priorities daily
- Exceptional communication skills to work in a global distributed engineering team
Travel required on need basis.
FTC Solar offers competitive wages, growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Private medical insurance
- Life Insurance
- Unlimited vacation
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
*Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet 100% of the listed requirements. At FTC Solar, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.