Location: Chennai, India
Reports to: Director, Global Sourcing
About FTC Solar Inc
FTC Solar is a fast-growing, global provider of solar tracker systems, technology, software, and engineering services. We are as passionate about renewable energy as we are about our culture and values. We want to attract like-minded individuals who live and breathe Integrity, Accountability, Innovation, and Excellence. We’re humble enough to know that we don’t know everything, so we love bold ideas that disrupt the status quo. Basically, we don’t want you to just fall in line!
FTC Solar is committed to creating a culture of inclusion and diversity. For us, this is not just a set of words or metrics. It drives our culture, creativity, and future success. We support our employees and foster an environment where new ideas and perspectives are celebrated and encouraged. When our employees thrive, FTC Solar thrives. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
FTC Solar is looking for a talented Sr. Packaging Engineer to join our fast-growing Solar Tracker organization. The Sr. Package Engineer will be responsible for the company’s packaging strategy to support new products, improve cost, ensure product quality through the time it arrives to our customers and much more!
In this role, you will collaborate and provide technical expertise to Marketing, Procurement, Quality, R&D, suppliers, and co-manufacturers to determine optimal packaging specifications that meet functional requirements for new product introductions.
- Responsible for multiple packaging development and cost reduction projects
- Collaborate with and provide technical expertise to Marketing, Procurement, Quality, R&D, suppliers, and co-manufacturers to determine optimal packaging specifications that meet functional requirements for new product introductions
- Develop a consistent, documented process to test and evaluate new and existing packaging as related to specifications / expectations, lead testing as necessary
- Review existing packaging and make recommendations on functional improvements and cost savings opportunities
- Work with Supply Chain and Logistics to ensure package integrity from manufacturing to end customer. (Road, Air and ocean shipments)
- Provide technical support to project teams to solve manufacturing problems related to packaging
- Develop and maintain relationships with vendors to bring innovation, technology, and solutions
- Lead sustainability projects to reduce waste from packaging materials, working with internal and external resources to set goals and achieve measurable success
- Design & develop for the commodities like Structural Items, Controllers, Slew Drives, Power Modules, etc. with optimized cost efficiency
- Collaborates with sourcing, Logistics departments to optimize package design
- Determine product and cost analysis and often negotiate with suppliers for packaging of components for new and existing products
- Researches and introduces prototype packaging using materials such as folding cartons, plastics, and corrugated shipping containers
- Drafts specifications for new packing materials while consolidating the shipments
- Understanding of Special Packaging for Battery or items that contain the battery with a special label indication
- Bachelor of Engineering degree in any function
- 8+ years of packaging subject matter experience
- Knowledge of packaging material design
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- Proficient with computer-assisted design (CAD) software
- Understanding of Solar market dynamics and sound business judgement
- Strong project management and leadership skills
- Ability to negotiate and sustain networking relationships
- Comfortable with figures and in collecting, analyzing and interpreting data
- Solid judgement with ability to make good decisions
- Ability to work in fast pace start-up environment
- Familiar with ISO 9001 and 14001 standards and QMS and EMS process, such as SWOT analysis
Ability to travel to manufacturing sites as required (up to 33% of time)
FTC Solar offers competitive wages, growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Private medical insurance
- Life Insurance
- Unlimited vacation
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
*Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet 100% of the listed requirements. At FTC Solar, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.